Car Safety Inspection
Before taking to the road, it is important that you check that your vehicle is safe to drive.
At National, our trained experts can carry out a 30-point car safety inspection covering various interior and exterior checks to ensure that your vehicle is roadworthy between your annual MOT tests. This comprehensive car safety check will ensure your vehicle is running as smoothly as possible, to help minimise the risk of breaking down.
What is included in the 30-point car safety inspection?
The car safety inspection covers 30 vital points that we check to ensure your car is safe to drive. The checks covered are:
- Check the operation of the horn
- Check the dashboard warning lights and record any illuminated warning lights, including for ad-blue (if applicable)
- Check the security of seats and head restraints
- Check the seat belts for tears and ensure they are working correctly
- Check the operation of the exterior lights
- Check the condition/operation of the front and rear windscreen wipers
- Visually check the windscreen for chips or damage
- Check the mirrors for cracks or damage
- Check the condition of the number plates
- Check for excessive exhaust smoke and inspect the exhaust system, including the catalyst (if fitted), for leaks, security and noise
- Check the condition and security of the battery
- Check and record the strength of the antifreeze coolant
- Check the operation of the washer and top it up
- Check and record the engine oil level
- Check the brake fluid level
- Visually check the power steering system, pipes and hoses for any leaks, chafing and corrosion, and check the power steering level
- Check the correct tyres are fitted according to the side wall instructions
- Check and record the condition and tread depth of the tyres (including the spare)
- Check and adjust the tyre pressures (including the spare)
- Check the drive shaft gaiters for security, condition and leaks
- Check the steering and suspension components for leaks, wear and corrosion, including locking devices
- Check the steering rack gaiters for condition and security
- Check the wheel bearings for excessive play and roughness
- Check the brake pads for wear and record measurements
- Measure the brake discs and drums, and check for wear, cracks, corrosion, scoring and pitting (excluding internal drums)
- Check the wheel cylinders for leaks and operation
- Check the service brake shoes for wear or damage, then clean and adjust if required (excluding internal handbrake shoes)
- Visually check the brake hydraulic system, pipes and hoses for any leaks, chafing and corrosion
- Check the brake callipers for leaks and security, and carry out a brake boil test
- Check the handbrake for security, linkages and travel, then lubricate and adjust if required
What happens if additional work is needed?
Once the car check has been completed, if any additional work is identified, you will be provided with a no-obligation quotation. At National, we only use quality parts provided by approved suppliers and all our mechanical parts carry a 24-month/24,000 mileage guarantee (whichever is sooner). With 238 fitting centres and thousands of highly trained technicians in a garage near, you why not book one of our comprehensive car safety inspections today!