Everything you need to know about changing car tax

Author Name – Jack Underwood

    21 people

There are a number of factors that can affect which car tax band your vehicle sits. It is vitally important that you purchase the correct type of tax for your vehicle to ensure that your vehicle is legal for UK roads. In this article, we are going to explain to you all of the processes that need to be undertaken when changing car tax.

changing car tax

How to change car tax

If you have purchased a second-hand vehicle, it is important to note that you cannot transfer car tax from one vehicle to another. You will need to purchase tax specifically for the car you have purchased. You can purchase car tax for your vehicle by clicking on the button below. Please note, this button will take you off our website and to the gov.uk website.

Tax your vehicle

What changes will affect vehicle tax?

If you change or modify your vehicle, this may affect the vehicle tax class/band. If the vehicle tax class needs to be amended, this may mean you need to spend more on your vehicle tax, or alternatively, the cost of your Vehicle Excise Duty (commonly known as either car tax, road tax or vehicle tax), may also decrease.

If you make any of the following changes to your vehicle, your vehicle tax may be affected:

  • The purpose of your vehicle (Eg. A minibus which is now being used for profit)
  • The type of fuel
  • A change to the size of the engine (cc)
  • A change to the vehicle weight (only applicable for goods vehicles)
  • A change to the number of seats (only applicable to buses)

If you are registered disabled, or you are part of an organisation that is providing transport for disabled people, your vehicle tax may be greatly reduced or you may even not need to pay vehicle tax.

How to change your vehicle tax band

If you are wanting to change your vehicle's tax band, this can depend on three different factors.

If you are wanting to change your car into or out of the disabled tax class, you need to follow a specific process. To summarise, you will need a valid MOT certificate, the V5C registration certificate and any evidence that you are eligible for disability exemption. You can apply for a change to your vehicle tax band at either the Post Office or by Post. For additional information on the full process, please click on the link below.

Tax-Exempt Vehicles

If you are wanting to change your vehicle tax band but your tax is not due to run out, then again there is a specific procedure that needs to be followed. Firstly, you need to use a V70 form. Along with this the completed V70 form, you will need a V5C registration certificate, a current MOT certificate and proof that you have changed the fuel type or engine size. For additional information and how to apply to change your tax band in this particular circumstance, please click on the link below. Please note, this link will take you to the gov.uk website.

Your tax is not due to run out

If your tax is due to run out on your vehicle, you can apply to change your vehicle tax class at a Post Office or alternatively, if you have changed the structure of the car, the body type or are starting to use the vehicle for profit (eg. a minibus), this will need to be submitted by post. For full information on how you change vehicle tax class if your vehicle has no tax, please click on the button below. This link will take you to the most appropriate page on the gov.uk website.

Changing vehicle tax

If you are wanting to know how to check a car is taxed, then just can be done with the Government website. Alternatively, if you are wanting to calculate how much your tax will cost, you can use a car tax calculator. If you are wanting to know how to cancel car tax, please read the following article: Cancelling car tax.

Did you enjoy this blog post? |
21 people found this review helpful
Autogreen tyres
Avon tyres
Bridgestone tyres
Churchill tyres
Continental tyres
Dunlop tyres
Dynamo tyres
Firestone tyres
Goodyear tyres
Michelin tyres
Pirelli tyres
Sailun tyres